Scarborough Emergency Dentist
Providing Same-Day Dental Care
A dental emergency can happen at any time, but by their very nature, emergencies seem to happen at the most inconvenient times. Imagine a peaceful Saturday afternoon. You’re relaxing in front of the television or reading a good book. Drinking your favorite beverage, and crunching on ice between sips. Suddenly, the crunch of the ice is accompanied by an altogether different kind of crunch followed by pain. A piece of your tooth chipped off along with the ice. Just like that, a cozy afternoon at home turns into a dental emergency. Luckily, the team at White Willow Family & Cosmetic Dentistry is here to help with emergency dental care when you need it most including same day appointments when necessary.
Most Common Dental Emergencies
In many dental emergencies, our Scarborough office encourages patients to make a same day appointment with our team, or proceed to local emergency rooms if the injury is life threatening. The first step is to call our office right away, so we can help you determine whether your emergency needs immediate care. Some of the most common dental emergencies we treat include:
- Avulsed/knocked out tooth – if you lose a permanent tooth, time is of the essence. These teeth may be replaced if we can see you within 45 minutes or an hour. Retrieve the tooth, holding it by the biting surface, clean debris with warm water, and whenever possible, replace the tooth in the vacated socket. If this cannot be done, store the tooth in a container of milk until you arrive at our practice.
- Chipped or cracked teeth – chipped, cracked, and broken teeth are typically simple to repair, and may not require a same day appointment. Avoid chewing with the damaged tooth, and place dental wax over any sharp points to protect surrounding teeth and soft tissue until our team can see you.
- Lost dental restorations – when patients lose a dental crown, inlay, onlay, or other restoration, these are usually fairly simple fixes. Try to maintain the restoration, and make an appointment right away. Unless the underlying dental structure is damaged, we may be able to replace the restoration on the same day.
- Soft tissue injuries and jawbone breaks – in most cases of severe damage to soft tissue or jawbone breaks, we recommend patients visit their local emergency room. If there is damage to teeth or gums, we can assess it and recommend repair once patients are no longer in life threatening danger.
How to Handle a Dental Emergency?
One of the best ways to take the stress out of dental emergencies is to know how to manage your situation until you reach our office. That’s why we recommend patients keep the 4 “C’s” of dental emergencies in mind:
- Calm – it’s most important to try to remain calm. Though dental emergencies and emergencies of any kind are frightening, increased blood pressure caused by stress only exacerbates injuries.
- Call – call our team right away. We’re happy to talk you through your dental emergency, make a same day appointment, and make recommendations for caring for your smile until you arrive.
- Clean – the number one concern with dental injuries is infection. Make sure to gently clean the mouth with warm water right away to remove foreign materials that may lead to infection, and keep wounds clean.
- Cold – the best way to stop blood flow and control inflammation is to apply a cold compress or ice pack to the affected area at twenty minute intervals (20 on/20 off).
Contact Dr. Amaro Right Away
Next time you or a loved one experiences a dental emergency, stay calm and call White Willow Family & Cosmetic Dentistry. Our knowledgeable team helps patients handle any dental emergency quickly and effectively.