October 8, 2019
Whether you’re 10 years old or 50, dental phobia is an incredibly common issue. According to a survey taken by 18,000 people across the world, 61 percent said they suffer from dental fear, and nearly four percent of them said they’ve never been to a dentist. That’s why a dentist in Scarborough uses the latest technology to help patients feel relaxed and comfortable, so they can get the preventive care they need without being filled with anxiety. With the right professional by your side, making you feel comforted and well cared for, you won’t have to worry about a severe oral health problem creeping up on you. Read on to learn about how sedation dentistry can benefit you.
What are the Different Sedation Techniques?
Depending on the severity of your phobia and what type of treatment you’re having, your sedation dentist will determine what technique will be the best option to help you feel relaxed and calm. That way, they’ll be able to easily work on your mouth and get you in and out of their office as soon as possible. They may choose one of the following options:
- Nitrous Oxide- You’ve most likely heard this referred to as “laughing gas” before. Nitrous oxide is a great solution for patients who have mild dental anxiety. It’s administered during the appointment through a nose mask. Throughout your treatment, your professionals will be able to adjust the levels, making you feel warm, content, and even euphoric. A great benefit is that the effects wear off within a few minutes after the mask is removed, allowing patients to carry on with their day.
- Oral Conscious Sedation- Struggling with a moderate fear of the dentist can fill you with anxiety and worry before the appointment has even begun. In this case, your dentist may recommend oral conscious sedation, in the form of a pill that’s taken before you get to the office. That way, once you’re in the treatment chair, you’ll remain totally comfortable and relaxed throughout the procedure. This form of sedation puts you in a deep relaxation state, blurring the memories of your visit.
Who Can Benefit From Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation is a great option for any patient who suffers from fear, anxiety, or worry that’s keeping them from visiting or feeling comfortable at the dentist. Some other reasons people may turn to a sedation dentist is because they:
- Have a low pain tolerance.
- Have difficulty sitting still in the dentist’s chair.
- Have incredibly sensitive teeth.
- Have a gag reflex that’s easily triggered.
- Need extensive dental work completed in a single visit.
Sedation dentistry is safe and effective for patients of all ages and can be administered by most dentists. Getting the dental care you need before a problem becomes severe can save you time, money, stress, and needing invasive treatments. So, instead of putting your visit off because of your anxiety, check with your dentist about whether they offer sedation solutions that can calm your mind and body.
About the Author
Dr. Samantha Amaro is a member of several professional organizations including the Ontario Dental Association, Royal College of Dental Surgeons, and more. This allows her to stay up-to-date with the latest advancements in her field and provide her patients with the highest quality of care. She has also taken advanced training courses and earned certifications in Invisalign, CEREC one-day crowns, and moderate sedation. She strives to allow everyone to feel comfortable in her care, which is why she offers nitrous oxide and oral conscious sedation to patients who have dental anxiety. For questions or to learn how you can feel comfortable in the dentist’s chair, visit White Willow Family & Cosmetic Dentistry’s website or call 416-285-4545.
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.