January 16, 2019
Finding a great family dentist in Scarborough comes down to location, services provided, and personal rapport. You should look for a dental practice that will care for everyone in your household, from the oldest adult to the youngest child. It’s also important to ensure that the practice takes your dental coverage.
Making a List and Checking It Twice
Start your search by making a list of the qualities and features that are most important to you in a family dentist. Some of the things you may want to consider include:
- Location. The best dentist on earth will do you little good if his or her office is too far from your home or place of business. Remember to take parking and neighborhood dynamics into consideration, not just distance.
- Hours. This is especially important these days, when many people are working non-traditional hours.
- Services provided. It’s important to consider not only your family’s current needs but those it will have in the years to come. For example, your children might be a little young for braces now. But will that still be the case down the road?
- Coverage information. Make sure the practice takes your dental insurance. It’s a good idea to call the office and make sure, rather than relying on print or online information. Otherwise you may be in for a costly misunderstanding.
Nothing Beats the Personal Touch
Once you’ve narrowed down your options, the next step is to pay the practice a visit and meet the staff. This is important for your long-term happiness.
Do you have small children in your home? Bring them along as well. Meeting the dentist ahead of time and being familiar with the office environment will help to ease any fears they may have about receiving dental care.
Questions, Questions, Questions
Let’s say you found a location that meets the needs on your list and has a staff with whom you and your family feel comfortable. If you’re still unsure of which practice to choose, then you may want to have a chat with the dentist and ask him or her questions like these:
- “How long have you been practicing dentistry?” There are two schools of thought on this topic. On one hand, seasoned the least. Dentists have been around the block and have seen almost everything in their career. On the other hand, recent graduates will be schooled in the latest tools and techniques.
- “What kind of self-care steps do you recommend for my family and myself?” Dental medicine is always advancing. Standards and practices that were cutting edge a few years ago may be obsolete today. It never hurts to know new ways to family brushing teeth together up your game when it comes to your family’s health.
- “How much experience do you have treating children (for households with little ones)?” There are some wonderful dentists whose skill set is best suited to treating adult patients. Don’t be afraid to ask this question when it’s your family’s well-being you’re concerned about.
Finding the right family dentist is sometimes challenging. But the effort you put forth will pay for itself many times over in terms of quality care and peace of mind. Years from now you’ll look back with well-deserved pride at the wise choice you made for yourself and your loved ones.
About the Author
Dr. Samantha Amaro is a skilled general dentist with experience treating people of all ages. Dr. Amaro and her staff are happy to answer any questions you may have about the services they provide to their valued patients. You can reach the office online or by calling (416) 285-4545.
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.