January 8, 2018
You have a lot to look forward to in 2018! Maybe you’re going to go on a fantastic vacation, learn a new language, or finally fit back into your favorite pair of skinny jeans. While you’re busy being fabulous, though, it’s important that you make a little time to look after your oral health. After all, a gorgeous smile is the best accessory. Your dentist in Scarborough is here to list a few simple things you can do to give your teeth the TLC they deserve this year.
Visit Your Dentist
Sadly, not many adults follow the recommendation to visit their dentist twice a year. They might think they’re too busy, or perhaps they’ve managed to convince themselves that biannual cleanings and exams just aren’t that important. But it is important to see your dentist every six months or so. That’s because:
- Professional cleaning tools can remove tartar from your teeth; your toothbrush can’t do that.
- You’ll get tips on how to improve your oral hygiene routine at home so you can take even better care of your smile.
- Your dentist will have a chance to spot any problems before they start causing you pain and costing you bunches of money.
- You’ll feel fantastic after getting your teeth cleaned!
Maintain Good Habits
Of course, while your dentist is always willing to help you achieve a healthier mouth, the main responsibility for caring for those pearly whites falls on you. Between dental visits, it’s vital that you stick to some good habits that will keep your mouth fresh, clean, and feeling great:
- Brush twice a day. This fights decay-causing bacteria, and the fluoride in toothpaste strengthens your enamel.
- Floss daily. Your toothbrush can’t reach the tiny spaces between your teeth; floss can.
- Cut back on sugar. Not only is cutting back on the sweet stuff good for your waistline, but it will also protect your teeth from plaque and decay.
- Say no to soda. Even diet soda is pretty acidic, which means it has the power to wear away your enamel.
- Eat more mouth-healthy foods. Calcium-rich foods, as well as crunchy fruits and veggies (like apples) are great for strengthening your teeth and encouraging your mouth to produce decay-fighting saliva.
Fight Bad Habits
Habits like smoking, chewing on ice, and grinding your teeth can cause serious damage to your smile. Your dentist and/or physician, along with some good old-fashioned self-control, may be able to help you conquer these.
If you haven’t been taking your oral health as seriously as you should, 2018 is the perfect time to turn over a new leaf. Your dentist in Scarborough would be happy to assist you in sticking to your resolve to take better care of your smile.
About White Willow Dental
Drs. Samantha Amaro and Arti Patel love to care for smiles in the Scarborough community. Whether it’s time for your biannual cleaning or you have questions on how you can take great care of your teeth and gums, we’re here for you. Please contact us at +1-416-285-4545.
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.